“Success seems to be connected with action.
Successful people keep moving.
They make mistakes but they never quit.”
Buying an established business rather than setting up a new business has many advantages but is not without risk. You will need to know the advantages and disadvantages of buying an existing business and be clear about your ability to run a business.
Advantages of buying a business
Buying a business is generally considered less risky than starting your own business, especially if you can buy a well-managed, profitable business for the right price. Consider these advantages:
- The difficult start-up work has already been done. The business should have plans and procedures in place.
- Buying an established business means immediate cash flow.
- The business will have a financial history, which gives you an idea of what to expect and can make it easier to secure loans and attract investors.
- You will acquire existing customers, contacts, goodwill, suppliers, staff, plant, equipment and stock.
- A market for your product or service is already established.
- Existing employees and managers will have experience they can share.
Disadvantages of buying a business
Keep in mind that not every business on the market is a good prospect. Many owners will be selling unprofitable or under-performing businesses. While this can be a chance to buy and develop a cheap business, it can also be a risky investment. Consider these disadvantages:
- The business might need major improvements to old plant and equipment.
- You often need to invest a large amount up front, and will also have to budget for professional fees for solicitors and accountants.
- The business may be poorly located or badly managed, with low staff morale.
- External factors, such as increasing competition or a declining industry, can affect future growth.
- Under-performing businesses can require a lot of investment to make them profitable.
P&G Business Consulting is willing to partner with you in assisting you to buy a business. We can assist you to conduct business valuation to assess the profitability of the business before you buy the business. Contact us to book an appointment to discuss your business idea.